Sunday, September 18, 2011

Encantada con España

Here's the thing about Spain- I love it.

I am so busy being in Spain, though, that I do not have time to sit with my thoughts. But to be fair, I've been doing little more than sitting with my thoughts (and the thoughts of people who think better, bigger thoughts than I do) for two years. Maybe it's time for a change.

Last week we went to Córdoba, which was beautiful- the Islamic influence is present in much of Andalusia but especially here.




 With my guapas... they make everything twelve times more fun.



During our group's free time, we were given a list of interesting places we could visit if we wished. This is what we chose to do instead. In our defense, this is the first patch of grass we have found in Spain; for some reason it is almost impossible to find.



The beautiful, beautiful cathedral; once a mosque, it was *ahem* reappropriated as a symbol of Christian power after the city was lost to the Catholic royals.






Each column, and there are over three thousand I think, is different. Our tour guide was really, really, really fixated on the columns. Out of a two hour tour, he probably spent 75 minutes discussing the columns. Not exaggerating.




 On OJ's last day with us, I took her to church closest to our apartment. This Thursday was a holiday in Granada commemorating the patron saint of the city, Nuestra Virgen de las Angustias (Our Virgen of the Anguishes); all day, people bring flowers to the virgin, and the bouquets are woven together to create a kind of floral patchwork quilt. It is so lovely.








OJ looking fab in front of the flowers.

On Saturday, our group went on an excursion to the Sacromonte, a neighborhood in Granada with Roma roots, and the ruins of some Arab baths from about a thousand years ago (!). 







I think by the end of this trip, there will be pictures of me with the Alhambra in the background taken from every possible angle.







Today is my 21st birthday. If I could have my family with me, then it would be perfect. It's pretty close though- I celebrated last night with the other members of my program. Behind us is the Alhambra, especially majestic at night.




The rest of my birthday has been spent napping, working on some homework, laughing with Micki over pictures from the past few days, and watching fútbol with my host father. After great consideration, I have decided to support Barcelona's team, NOT Real Madrid. My reasons for such a position are manifold. 


Overall, an excellent weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. Que FABULOSO! Thanks for these! Cannot get over the stripes in the cathedral - las flores de la Virgen - the vaulted ceilings - the antiquity of the civilization - the history and conflict. It is so wonderful to see you overlooking the Alhambra - en el dia y en la noche... what lovely photos of you y tus amigas! We were so happy to all be here to sing Happy Birthday to you this morning, Pixita - and send all our love from here - Feliz cumpleanos one more time! Mucho, mama xxoxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forca Barca!

    I have no idea how to make the little accent marks appear on this iPad so you'll have to correct my spelling as well as my grammar while you read this.

    It looks like you are enjoying your travels greatly. Good for you. You'll have to tell us all the fun anecdotes on your return.

    ReplyDelete